I love that once a year everyone gets to be a little bit Irish…
I’m a little bit Irish so I think St. Patrick’s Day is a fine idea. In reality, every nationality should get their own day, to educate, to remember, & to celebrate, but since I’m not in charge of that decision, I’m focusing my efforts on helping everyone enjoy March 17th.
Here are 6 ways to make your St. Patrick’s Day delightful!!!
1. Whether you are Irish or not, wear something green – remember when you were in elementary school & everyone wore green because rumor had it you could get pinched if you didn’t? Green is also a remarkably uplifting color, guaranteed to put some zing into your day…go wild, think emerald, avocado, forest, lime, moss…whatever shade speaks to you.
2. Sing – take a deep breath, open wide, & let the music flow. It doesn’t have to be an Irish ballad, it doesn’t have to be on pitch, it doesn’t even have to be in public. (I myself am a dedicated shower singer/songwriter) Just sing to celebrate the fact that you’re alive & can.
3. Kiss someone – The Irish seem very fond of kissing the Blarney Stone but I think that could be over-rated. Find a willing soul (preferably someone you already know) & plant a great loud smacking smooch on them. Accompany it with a lovely strong hug & it will do you both great good! You may even want to do this more than once as it can be addicting.
4. Eat a potato – Full of vitamins, potassium…a great comfort food…mashed, fried, baked, scalloped, butter, sour cream, salt…what’s not to like?
5. Turn your food green – Like in Green Eggs & Ham. Be creative, you can use green food coloring in more ways than you ever imagined if you only turn your thoughts to it. OJ? mashed potatoes? milk? whatever comes to mind. If you get stuck just find a 6 year old, they’ll give you all kinds of ideas!
6. Call a friend & tell them an Irish joke or riddle – This works on a couple of levels. It gives you the chance to catch up with someone you may not have spoken to for a bit & you get a chance to laugh together. You can Google Irish jokes & come up with hundreds or you can use the one below:
Do you know why would you never iron a four-leaf clover?
Because you shouldn’t press your luck!
Any day’s a good day to be Irish, or French, Swedish, Ugandan or any other nationality for that matter, but Monday will be a fine time to practice celebrating!
Me…I’m off to find someone to hug!!!